Native App install banners landed in Chrome 44 Beta for Android and will be soon available in the stable version. Native App banners are a new powerful feature that let users to install and switch to your native app, without leaving the browser.
Criteria for activation
The criteria for Native App banner activation are:
- You have a web app manifest file
- Your site is served over HTTPS
- The user has visited your site twice over two separate days during the course of two weeks
- The app has not been installed yet
To test the banner, without waiting the next day (due to the criteria #3), you can enable chrome://flags/#bypass-app-banner-engagement-checks .
The manifest should defines at least a
144x144 png icon,
related_applications. Check out the manifest we use at Spreaker or the following example:
The manifest file must be linked in your web pages using the
<link> tag. Ie:
You may also be interested in ...
- Chrome 54 introduces BroadcastChannel API and Spreaker is already using it
- Chrome changes "HTTPS with mixed content" icon and add Security tab to DevTools
- Who are we developing for?
- New Chrome security policy: powerful features will be removed on insecure origins